|COLONEL JOEL D. JACKSON|
Col. Joel D. Jackson is the commander, 22nd Air Refueling Wing, McConnell Air Force Base, Kan., one of the Air Force's three core tanker wings. The wing provides all-weather, in-flight, aerial refueling for U.S. and allied military aircraft and airlift for Global Reach projection of troops, equipment and supplies, worldwide. Colonel Jackson commands more than 2,800 active-duty Airmen, who support global contingency and conventional operations including U.S. Strategic Command Operational Plan 8010. The 22 ARW is the host wing for the 184th Intelligence Wing, which has more than 1,000 Kansas Air National Guard personnel, and the 931st Air Refueling Group.
Colonel Jackson is a command pilot with more than 4,100 tanker flight hours. He has flown combat and combat support missions during Operation SOUTHERN WATCH, Operation ENDURING FREEDOM, and Operation IRAQI FREEDOM and served in a variety of positions at the squadron, group, and wing levels including positions on the Air Staff, the Office of the Secretary of Defense, and the United States Transportation Command. He has also served as an Air Expeditionary Wing Vice-Wing Commander and commanded two squadrons including one in Southwest Asia.
The colonel graduated from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1992 and is a graduate of the Air War College. He earned additional master's degrees in Aeronautical Engineering and Administrative Management from The University of Washington and George Washington University.
1992 Bachelor of Science in Aeronautical Engineering, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1993 Master of Science in Aeronautical Engineering, The University of Washington, Seattle, Wash.
2000 Master of Arts in Administrative Management, George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
1. July 1992 - December 1993, Graduate Student, Seattle, Wash.
2. January 1994 - January 1995, Student, pilot training, Reese Air Force Base, Texas
3. February 1995 - July 1998, KC-10A Aircraft Commander, 9th Air Refueling Squadron, Travis AFB, Calif.
4. July 1998 - May 2000, Air Force Intern, Washington, D.C.
5. May 2000 - January 2002, KC-10A Evaluator Pilot, 9th Air Refueling Squadron, Travis AFB, Calif.
6. January 2002 - August 2003, Chief, KC-10A Standardization and Evaluation, 60th Operations Group, Travis AFB, Calif.
7. August 2003 - February 2004, Assistant Operations Officer, 6th Air Refueling Squadron, Travis AFB, Calif.
8. February 2004 - July 2004, Chief, KC-10A Formal Training Unit, 60th Operations Support Squadron,
Travis AFB, Calif.
9. July 2004 - June 2005, Chief, wing executive officer, 60th Air Mobility Wing, Travis AFB, Calif.
10. June 2005 - January 2006, Joint Mobility Operations Officer, USTRANSCOM, Scott AFB, Ill.
11. January 2006 - January 2007, J3 Executive Officer, USTRANSCOM, Scott AFB, Ill.
12. January 2007 - April 2008, Executive Officer to the Commander, USTRANSCOM, Scott AFB, Ill.
13. May 2008 - March 2010, Commander, 6th Air Refueling Squadron, Travis AFB, Calif. and
Commander, 908th Expeditionary Air Refueling Squadron, Southwest Asia.
14. March 2010 - July 2010, Deputy Commander 60th Operations Group, Travis AFB, Calif.
15. July 2010 - June 2011, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
16. July 2011 - July 2012, Vice Commander, 380th Air Expeditionary Wing, Southwest Asia.
17. August 2012- May 2013, Distribution Division Chief, Joint Staff J-4, Pentagon, Washington DC
18. May 2013 - Present, Commander, 22 Air Refueling Wing, McConnell AFB, Kan.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 4,500
Aircraft flown: KC-10, KC-135
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Bronze Star Medal
Joint Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
2nd Lieutenant May, 1992
1st Lieutenant May, 1994
Captain May, 1996
Major November, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel December, 2006
Colonel October, 2010
(Current as of December 2013)