Colonel Thad R. Middleton is the Commander, 22nd Operations Group McConnell Air Force Base, Kansas. As commander, he is directly responsible for the employment of 24 KC-135 Stratotanker and assigned KC-46 Pegasus aircraft through four local squadrons and one Total Force Integrated geographically-separated squadron at Pease Air National Guard Base, New Hampshire. The mission of the 22nd Operations Group includes in-flight refueling, global reach airlift, strategic support of conventional and non-conventional operations, as well as execution of U.S. Strategic Command Operations requirements for the Air Force, Department of Defense and allied nations worldwide.
His operational assignments and deployments include C-130E/H Evaluator Pilot, Dyess AFB, Texas; KC-10 Instructor Pilot, Travis Air Force Base, California and as the 9th Air Refueling Squadron Commander, Travis Air Force Base, California. In addition to operational tours, he served as a Staff Officer in Headquarters Air Force, Aide-de-Camp to the 22nd Secretary of the Air Force and as United States Transportation Command’s Liaison Officer to United States Africa Command, Stuttgart Germany.
Previous to his current command, Colonel Middleton served as the 22 ARW KC-46 Program Integration Office Chief.
Colonel Middleton entered the Air Force after graduating from the United States Air Force Academy with a Bachelor of Science, History (Russian) and Russian Language minor.
1997 Bachelor of Science in History, United States Air Force Academy 2003 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Alabama
2007 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2008 Master of Arts in Business Administration and Management, Touro University International 2010 Air Force Fellow, Strategic Policy Intern, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
2015 College of Naval Warfare & Naval Command College (International Program), U.S. Naval War College, Newport, Rhode Island
1. January 1998 - Aug 1998, Student, Joint Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance AFB, Oklahoma
2. Sept 1998 - Aug 1999, Student, Joint Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Corpus Christi Naval Air Station, Texas
3. Sept 1999 - April 2004, C-130H Evaluator Pilot and Flight Commander, 39th Airlift Squadron, Dyess Air Force Base, Texas
4. May 2004 - July 2005, KC-10 Aircraft Commander and Chief Executive Officer, 9th Air Refueling Squadron, Travis Air Force Base, California
5. Aug 2005 - April 2007, KC-10 Instructor Pilot and Executive Officer, 60th Air Mobility Wing, Travis Air Force Base, California
6. May 2007 - June 2009, Chief, Infrastructure Analysis Branch, then Chief, Nuclear Mission Analysis, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
7. July 2009 - March 2010, Strategic Policy Intern, Air Force Fellows Program, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
8. May 2010 - June 2012, Aide de Camp to the Secretary of the Air Force, Pentagon, Washington D.C.
9. June 2012 - May 2013, Operations Officer, 6th Air Refueling Squadron, Travis Air Force Base, California
10. May 2013 - June 2015, Commander, 9th Air Refueling Squadron, Travis Air Force Base, California
11. July 2015 - June 2016, Student College of Naval Warfare, U.S. Naval War College, Newport Naval Station
12. July 2016 - Aug 2018, US Transportation Command, Liaison Officer to US Africa Command, Stuttgart, Germany
13. Aug 2018 - June 2019, Chief, KC-46 Program Integration Office, McConnell AFB, Kansas
14. June 2019 - Present, Commander, 22nd Operations Group, McConnell AFB, Kansas
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2016 - Aug 2018, US Transportation Command, Liaison Officer to US Africa Command, Stuttgart, Germany as a Lieutenant Colonel
Rating: command Pilot
Flight hours: more than 3,100
Aircraft Flown: KC-10A, C-130E/H, KC-135, KC-46, T-44, T-37
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters Air Medal
Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with two leaf clusters Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Valor Air Force Organizational Excellence Award Combat Readiness Medal with oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal with oak leaf cluster Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 28, 1997
First Lieutenant May 28, 1999
Captain May 28, 2001
Major Dec 1, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel Mar 1, 2012
Colonel Sep1, 2018
(Current as of May 2019)