Colonel Joshua M. Olson is the commander, 22nd Air Refueling Wing, McConnell Air Force Base, Kansas, the Air Force's largest tanker wing. The wing provides all-weather, in-flight, aerial refueling for U.S. and allied military aircraft and airlift for global reach projection of troops, equipment and supplies, worldwide. Colonel Olson commands more than 3,500 active-duty Airmen supporting global contingency and conventional operations as well as U.S. Strategic Command's operational plans. The 22 ARW is the host wing for the Kansas Air National Guard's 184th Intelligence Wing and the Air Force Reserve Command's 931st Air Refueling Wing.
His operational assignments and deployments include KC-10 instructor pilot, Travis Air Force Base, Calif., C-130E/H evaluator pilot, Pope AFB, N.C., and as the 37th Airlift Squadron Commander, Ramstein Air Base, Germany. At his previous assignment, Colonel Olson served as the Vice Commander, 386th Air Expeditionary Wing, Southwest Asia where they commanded over 5,700 rotational Airmen in 6 expeditionary groups and 20 squadrons across 7 countries in the CENTCOM area of responsibility.
Colonel Olson entered the Air Force through the ROTC program as an honors graduate from Michigan Technological University.
1997 Bachelor of science, chemical engineering, Michigan Technological University, Houghton, Mich.
2003 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2005 Master of arts, education and administration, Chapman University, Fairfield, Calif.
2006 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2010 Air Force Fellow, Strategic Policy Intern, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
2010 Air War College, by correspondence
2013 Executive Business Training, Darden Graduate School of Business, University of Virginia
2013 Secretary of Defense Corporate Fellowship, 3M Company, St. Paul, Minn.
2014 Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
1. June 1997 - September 2000, Acquisition Manager, MC-130H Combat Talon II, Wright- Patterson AFB, Ohio
2. September 2000 - September 2001, Student/Class Leader, Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin AFB, Texas
3. September 2001 - September 2005, Wing Executive Officer, KC-10 Instructor Pilot, Flight Commander, Training Officer, 60th Air Mobility Wing and 6th Air Refueling Squadron, Travis AFB, Calif.
4. September 2005 - April 2006, Student, C-130 Formal Training Unit, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
5. April 2006 - April 2008, Assistant Operations Officer and C-130E/H Evaluator Pilot, 41st and 2nd Airlift Squadrons, Pope AFB, N.C.
6. April 2008 - July 2009, Aide-de-Camp to the Commander, Eighteenth Air Force, Scott AFB, Ill.
7. July 2009 - July 2010, Strategic Policy Intern, Air Force Fellows Program, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
8. July 2010 - August 2011, Chief, Strategic Airlift Requirements, Office of Air Force Reserve, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
9. September 2011 - June 2013, Commander, 37th Airlift Squadron, Ramstein AB, Germany
10. June 2013 - August 2014, Secretary of Defense Corporate Fellow, 3M Company, St. Paul, Minn.
11. August 2014 - June 2016, Deputy Director, Program Management Activities, J7 Joint Staff, Pentagon Washington, D.C.
12. June 2016 – July 2017, Vice Commander, 386th Air Expeditionary Wing, Southwest Asia
13. July 2017- Present, Commander, 22nd Air Refueling Wing, McConnell AFB, Kan.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. August 2014 – June 2016, Deputy Director, Program Management Activities, J7 Joint Staff, Pentagon Washington, D.C., as a colonel
Rating: Senior pilot
Flight hours: more than 2,800
Aircraft Flown: KC-46A, KC-135, C-130J, KC-10A, C-130E/H, T-1A, T-37B
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Meritorious Unit Award with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with oak leaf cluster
Iraq Campaign Medal with oak leaf cluster
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 13, 1997
First Lieutenant June 13, 1999
Captain June 13, 2001
Major Feb. 1, 2007
Lieutenant Colonel Dec.1, 2010
Colonel Aug. 1, 2015
(Current as of July 2018)