When big things happen in life, don't lose out

MCCONNELL AIR FORCE BASE, Kan. -- The big events in life are busy times, but don't forget one important thing to avoid losing TRICARE health care coverage eligibility -- keep your TRICARE information current.

It's simple to do. Just notify the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System when life's big events occur.

The following Qualifying Life Events require updates of personal information to DEERS:
· marriage
· divorce or annulment
· moving
· having a baby
· adopting or obtaining legal custody of a child
· a death in the family
· a child reaching age 21

Qualifying Life Event changes should be made in DEERS as soon as possible, but enrolling newborns or adopted children in TRICARE Prime or Prime Remote must be completed within 60 days of the birth or adoption to continue Prime or Prime Remote coverage.

After adding a spouse or a child to DEERS, enroll them in TRICARE Prime or Prime Remote by visiting a TRICARE Service Center or mailing an enrollment form to the address on the form. The form is available on www.triwest.com.

How to update DEERS
Updating DEERS is simple, using any of the following options:
· Call the Defense Manpower Data Center Support Office at 1-800-538-9552.
· Fax address changes to DEERS at 1-831-655-8317.
· Mail address changes to:
Defense Manpower Data
Center Support Office
Attn: COA
Seaside, CA 93955-6771
· Make changes online at: http://www.tricare.mil/DEERS.

Beneficiaries may also visit the nearest uniformed services personnel office (ID-card issuing facility).

If information is incorrect, only registered family members can make address changes. This can be done online at http://www.tricare.mil/DEERS.

The military sponsor (or someone with the sponsor's power of attorney) is the only individual who can add or delete a family member from DEERS. To do so, be prepared to provide such documents as:
· an original marriage license
· divorce decree
· adoption papers
· death or birth certificate
· DD Form 1172 (Application for Uniformed Services Identification Card and DEERS Enrollment).

For more information visit www.triwest.com. or call TriWest at 1-888-874-9378.