Colonel Chesley L. Dycus is the Vice Commander, 22d Air Refueling Wing, McConnell Air Force Base, Kansas, one of the Air Force’s three core tanker wings. The Wing provides all- weather, in-flight aerial refueling for U.S. and allied military aircraft, as well as Global Reach airlift for the rapid and precise projection of troops, equipment, and supplies worldwide. In this role, he assists the Commander in leading more than 3,500 active duty Airmen supporting global contingency and conventional operations as well as U.S. Strategic Command’s operational plans. The 22d Air Refueling Wing is the host wing for the Kansas Air National Guard’s 184th Wing and the Air Force Reserve Command’s 931st Air Refueling Wing.
Colonel Dycus received his commission from the United States Air Force Academy in May 2000. He is a mobility pilot with world-wide operational experience, including service in support of Operations Southern Watch, Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom. His assignments include multiple positions in operational units, squadron command, and staff officer duties at Headquarters Air Mobility Command and The White House.
Prior to his current assignment, Colonel Dycus served as a National Defense Fellow at The Brookings Institution in Washington, D.C., where he provided Air Force and joint military expertise for research and analysis supporting U.S. leaders to help shape and implement national security strategy.
2000 Bachelor of Science in Environmental Engineering, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado
2000 Aerospace Basic Course, Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama
2004 Squadron Officer School, in correspondence
2005 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama
2006 Master of Arts in Business Administration, Webster University, Saint Louis, Missouri
2009 Air Command and Staff College in correspondence
2012 Master of Science in Strategic Intelligence, National Intelligence University, Washington, D.C.
2020 National Defense Fellowship, The Brookings Institution, Washington, D.C.
1. August 2000 - February 2001, USAF Academy NCAA Division I Baseball Coach
2. February 2001 - February 2002, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus AFB, Mississippi
3. August 2002 - March 2007, Deputy Chief Command Post, C-5 Instructor Aircraft Commander, Travis AFB, California
4. April 2007 - July 2011, Flight Commander, Chief of Wing Current Operations, then Chief of Standardization and Evaluation, 17th Airlift Squadron, Joint Base Charleston, South Carolina
5. August 2011 - July 2012, Student, National Intelligence University, Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling, Washington D.C.
6. August 2012 - February 2015, Chief, Future Concepts, then Executive Officer to the Vice Commander, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Illinois
7. March 2015 - December 2015, Assistant Operations Officer, then Operations Officer, 91st Air Refueling Squadron, MacDill AFB, Florida
8. January 2016 - June 2017, Commander, 6th Operations Support Squadron, MacDill AFB, Florida
9. June 2017 - June 2019, Executive Secretary, then Acting Deputy National Security Advisor to the Vice President, The White House, Washington D.C.
10. July 2019 - June 2020, National Defense Fellow, The Brookings Institution, Washington, D.C.
11. June 2020 - Present, Vice Commander, 22nd Air Refueling Wing, McConnell AFB, Kansas
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: 3,600+
Aircraft flown: KC-46A, KC-135R/T, C-17A, and C-5A/B/C
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with seven oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Afghanistan Campaign Medal Iraq Campaign Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 2000
First Lieutenant May 2002
Captain May 2004
Major March 2010
Lieutenant Colonel July 2015
Colonel March 2020
(Current as of June 2020)