Colonel Mark E. Baran is the vice commander, 22nd Air Refueling Wing, McConnell Air Force Base, Kansas. In this role, he assists the commander in providing all-weather, in-flight aerial refueling for United States and allied military aircraft, as well as Global Reach airlift for the rapid and precise projection of troops, equipment and supplies worldwide.
Colonel Baran received his commission from the United States Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps program upon his graduation from Michigan Technological University in 2000. He has logged time as a C-17A Evaluator Pilot and as a Special Operations Low-Level (SOLL II) pilot. Colonel Baran has world-wide operational experience including special operations support to the Global War on Terrorism and combat duty in Operations ENDURING FREEDOM and IRAQI FREEDOM. He has served as the Wing Executive Officer for the 437th Airlift Wing as well as the Assistant Director of Operations at a Data Masked unit. In 2014 he completed his Joint Staff tour as Aide-De-Camp to the Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff, before assuming command of the 14th Airlift Squadron at Joint Base Charleston, South Carolina. After attending Air War College, Colonel Baran assumed duties as the Chief, KC-46 Program Integration Office at McConnell AFB, where he was responsible for the integrating operations, maintenance, logistics, and training activities for Air Mobility Command’s top acquisition priority.
Colonel Baran entered the Air Force through the ROTC program as a graduate from Michigan Technological University.
2000 Bachelor of Science in Finance, Michigan Technological University, Houghton, Michigan
2007 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Alabama
2009 Master of Business Administration, Touro University, Cypress, California
2012 Air Force Fellow, Strategic Policy, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
2017 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Alabama
1. July 2000 – Jan 2001, Assistant Flight Safety Officer, ASC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
2. Jan 2001 – June 2002, Student, Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus AFB, Mississippi
3. June 2002 – Jan 2006, C-17A Instructor Aircraft Commander, 15th Airlift Squadron, Charleston AFB, South Carolina
4. Jan 2006 – Aug 2008, Wing Executive Officer, Evaluator Aircraft Commander, 437th Airlift Wing, Charleston AFB, South Carolina
5. Aug 2008 – June 2011, C-32B Evaluator Pilot, Assistant Director of Operations, Data Masked
6. June 2011 – June 2012, Strategic Policy Fellow, Air Force Research Institute, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
7. June 2012 – Dec 2012, Special Assistant to the CJCS, Joint Staff, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
8. Dec 2012 – April 2014, Aide-De-Camp to the Chairman, Joint Staff, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
9. July 2014 – June 2016, Commander, 14th Airlift Squadron, Joint Base Charleston, South Carolina (May 2015-July 2015, Commander, 816th Expeditionary Airlift Squadron, Southwest Asia)
10. June 2016 – May 2017, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Alabama
11. June 2017 – Aug 2018, Chief, Program Integration Office, KC-46A, McConnell AFB, Kansas
12. Aug 2018 – Present, Vice Commander, 22nd Air Refueling Wing, McConnell AFB, Kansas
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2012 – Dec 2012, Special Assistant to the CJCS, Joint Staff, Pentagon, as a Major
2. Dec 2012 – April 2014, Aide-De-Camp to the Chairman, Joint Staff, Pentagon, as a Major and Lieutenant Colonel
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: more than 5,000
Aircraft Flown: T-37, T-1, C-17A, C-32B, KC-135R, KC-46A
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal
Air Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Global War on Terrorism ExpeditionaryMedal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 2000
First Lieutenant June 2002
Captain June 2004
Major June 2010
Lieutenant Colonel Dec 2013
Colonel May 2018
(Current as of January 2019)